Update: Student Incident
Posted: March 23, 2016 at 11:55 am
We want to share an update regarding the recent incident involving three George Mason University students.
We understand your concerns and frustrations, given recent events both on campus and in the world around us. We want to assure you that campus safety remains our highest priority.
The students who were arrested are barred from campus property. They are interim evicted from student housing and on interim suspension from the university, pending the outcome of the legal process. Because of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, and because of the ongoing nature of the investigation, we are not releasing the names of the students involved.
We can tell you that the materials found in the residence hall were in an inert state, and did not pose an immediate threat to the residents of Jefferson Hall and the campus community.
This incident is an ongoing investigation and as more information can be released, we will keep you informed. If you have information regarding this incident, please contact Mason Police Department at 703-993-2810.
Interim Chief of Police
Safety Resources on Campus
- Mason community members are encouraged to immediately report all crimes and suspicious persons or incidents to University Police at 703-993-2810, or 911.The Anonymous Tip Hot-Line can be reached at 703-993-4111.
- Wellness, Alcohol, and Violence Education and Services (WAVES) can be reached at 703-993-9999 during business hours. For the 24-Hour Sexual and Intimate Partner Violence Crisis Line, call 703-380-1434. http://waves.gmu.edu/
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) can be reached at 703-993-2380 during business hours. During non-business hours or in life-threatening emergencies, call Mason Police at 703-993-2810 or 9-1-1. http://caps.gmu.edu/
- Student Health Services can be reached at 703-993-2831 during business hours. During non-business hours, call the free after-hours nurse at 703-993-2831. During emergencies, call 911. http://shs.gmu.edu/
- The National Suicide Prevention Hotline is 1-800-273-8255.